Ed Miliband obviously didn’t pick up a copy of Mind’s Daily Stigma as if he had he would have been aware of the self-perpetuating lies he was spouting at the Q and A session yesterday again about that man he met on benefits:
“He was somebody who had lost his job 10 years ago. I’m not questioning the fact that he genuinely had an ailment … but I just say to you, the system didn’t demand that he go back to work, the system wrote him off.
“The system said he had incapacity, he couldn’t work for a bit and that’s it.
“The problem is I met his next-door neighbours … and they didn’t actually refer to him, but they said: ‘Our problem is we are working incredibly hard and we are worried we are paying for people who can’t work. “
Now this poor ‘man in the constituency’ is being quoted again. I do wonder if he actually exists or indeed whether Ed has just spoken to one constituency member?
Mister Ed just lazily and offensively reiterates lies along with a good measure of presumptions neither based on the actual facts possibly just on a quick conversation. And Mister Ed shows he isn’t interested in finding out the facts rather judgmental comments are the fashion. Questions I would put to Ed on this subject?
- Does Ed M. know what happened in the doctor’s surgery?
- Discussions with the man’s doctor along with diagnosis, treatment and what a fully qualified clinician with all the facts would decide based on a medical judgement?
- How does he know the neighbours were talking about this man as they didn’t actually refer to him?
- Has Ed M. actually spoken to benefit claimants and doctors?
- Or… is making wild assumptions based on right-wing populism that create more stigma and misery much more fun?
- Does Ed M. like kicking the poor?
- Does Ed M. actually look at statistics about benefits such as underpayments and benefits not claimed?
- Does he know or even care that 0.5% of money is lost to false claims?
- And that more is lost to tax evasion and avoidance i.e. rich people fiddling their taxes?
- The very capitalists and business people Mister Ed is cool with…..?